Self-myofascial release gives many benefits to everyone, not just athletes. I’m a firm believer in incorporating it regularly into my daily schedule. I do some form of self-massage every day for 10-15 minutes minimum. I roll my muscles pre- and post-workout and often again before bed. And I’ve experienced relief from my IT band pain and plantar fasciitis.
Here are 5 of the main benefits of self-myofascial release:
Stroke is one of the top 5 leading cause of death in the United States. One person dies every 4 minutes from these common and dangerous health issue. About 800,000 people suffer from a stroke each year and about one every 4 seconds. The only diseases that are more deadly are heart disease, cancer and chronic lower respiratory.
Strokes occur due to problems with the blood supply to the brain; either the blood supply is blocked or a blood vessel within the brain ruptures. A stroke is a medical emergency, and treatment must be sought as quickly as possible.
Here are some key points about stroke. More detail and supporting information is in the main article.
The American Stroke Association came up with an easy acronym to help people identify strokes in the most easy and timely manner. Remembering "F.A.S.T" can help save lives daily.
*Source: www.medicalnewstoday ; Stroke: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment*
Strength straining offers an endless amount of benefits. It can help shape a fit body, melt calories when not engaging in physical activity, and can protect from heart disease and osteoporosis. Although for you to achieve these benefits you must learn the proper form for each exercise. Form is most important in making sure you get these benefits and also to avoid injuries. Co-founder of Soho Strength Lab in New York, Albert Matheny says, "Practicing correct form will guarantee you're activating the correct muscles in the right order, so that you're working what you want to work,". Matheny lists and explains five very familiar exercises everyone should do and points our their rights and wrongs.
This model is performing a properly formed squat.
Squat as deep as you possibly can until your form wobbles.
1. Do not let your knees surpass your toes, and your knees should face the same direction as you toes.
2. Matheny says to keep your heels placed on the floor the entire time. Imagine you are spreading the floor apart with your feet.
3. Matheny says that it does not matter how far you stand apart as long as the rest of your form is absolute. The more narrow you can stand, the more flexible you are.
4. Look slightly up as you squat instead of looking down. Imagine trying to show off a picture on your shirt. This will help you keep your chest up.
1. Matheny says in order to get the most benefits and the full range of motion, ensure that you take lunges all the way down to the floor. If you cant feel how low you are or dont have a mirroe, you can even lightly hit your knee onto the ground.
2. Similar to the squat, do not let your knee surpass your toes. Doing this will put too much pressure onto the front knee, this is how pain and injury can occur.
Note: If you struggle while doing a front lunge with proper form, instead try a reverse lunge. Matheny says that stepping back instead of stepping forward forces you to use your glutes more, thus protecting the knees.
THE BICEPS CURL
1. Keep your shoulders back and chest up.
2. Keep your core tight throughout the exercise in order to protect chest muscles from injury.
3. Ensure your elbows stay at the sides of your body and do not come forward through the whole movement. It is common for people try to curl too much weight and it results in their elbows flying forward. This is a sign that you are not using your biceps and you can cause in injury for your back. When choosing a weight make sure you choose one that allows you to keep your elbows at your sides.
4. flex and tighten your glutes as you curl up the bells. This will help to secure your back and pelvis which will prevent injury.
1. Your hips must be aligned with or somewhat elevated relative to your shoulders, although you're butt should also be level to the rest of your body.
2. Make sure your abs are flexed the whole time.
3. At a 90 degree angle, make sure to keep shoulders directly over your elbows.
4. Your hands must be shoulder-width apart. Do not clasp hands together when performing a forearm plank. Holding onto dumbbells in each hand will help with the discomfort in your write, and makes sure you're hands are not together.
1. Keep a minor bend in knees throughout the whole exercise.
2. Push out your behind back behind you.
3. Keep your back flat and straight. Keeping your core engaged helps get the all the benefits and helps balance. Though, Matheny says that the main job of abs in this exercise is to keep your back from curving, which can cause pain and injury.
4. To avoud straining your neck, keep you're neck and head aligned with your back.
5. Do not let your behing go up in the air as you lower down the weights. Doing this means you are pulling the weight up with your upper body, instead of using your back muscles.
6. Do not allow the weights to go out in front of you while you stand up, try your best to keep them against your legs.
*Source: www.msn.com: The 5 Exercises Most Likely to Cause Injury*
Not only can acupressure therapy help get rid of your symptoms, it can align the working of your body, work as an efficient diagnostic tool and calm your mind. This article will highlight 9 different facts about Acupressure that you might not know about.
First things first, acupressure is cost free. this is because it can be applied by yourself, relaxing at home. furthermore, people participating in this art professionally do not require too much space. Acupressure is great because it can be practiced by people of all ages and doesn't take a lot of time to get a certification. So, for all the very active and unavailable professionals, this is the best and quickest way to keep healthy.
3) It causes the least amount of pain when finding a deeper issue
Acupressure is a great health related issue indicator. The only thing needed in order to get a diagnosis is to put pressure onto the point on the body, and if you experience pain, it is likely that the gland or organ it is linked to needs medical attention. The system is so definite that a trainer practitioner can find the condition in the earliest stage of its development.
Acupressure practitioners say that one has to stimulate bilaterally, for example, on both hands or both sides of the body and the feet. The symptoms may develop after the first stimulation, but this is an implication that the treatment is working and the body is getting rid of the toxins. After applying the treatment to the pressure points, always press the kidney point too, this will stimulate it to get rid of the toxins made by the ill organ.
5) Helps the body and mins.
6) One technique for the whole body.
Acupressure therapy can mend anything from back pain, to water retention, to headaches, and to anxiety. When the points linked to the place in the body that needs healing is gently stimulated, it helps to fix the said organ. Over time you will be able to tell the problem is gently improving. Besides the therapeutic benefit, acupressure soothes the mind as well, causing it to feel refreshed and able to deal with the weight of the day ahead.
7) It's a simple health tool.
Professionals urge people to use acupressure therapy on a daily basis. It is said that when it is thoroughly followed; the therapy and its many benefits can be an active self tool that can be practiced on your own.
8) Your hands and feet connect to your whole body
The principles of acupressure state that the human body has more than 200 pressure points. Though, most professionals trust that the feet and hands are the parts that should be the focus. The principles also say that stimulating these points make a reflex within its linked body part. All you have to do to diagnose impending problems or check for sound health in an individual is to apply pressure on the designated pressure points of the foot and hand effectively once a day.
9)Beautiful jewelry can act as acupressure.
Covering yourself entirely with jewelry, like waistbands, toe rings, armlets, anklets, rings, and anklets, serve much more benefits than decoration. The people that wear a lot of jewelry and often, closely to related pressure points can help stimulate them. This helps the body stay in good health. For example, in a majority of Indian cultures, women choose to wear toe or nose rings. Both of these points are linked to fertility, they are to establish good operation in the uterus.
Although there are so many benefits, like any therapy you must be aware of precautions.
The following are some critical things to keep in mind when applying pressure:
*Source: thehealthsite.com, "Acupressure - 10 amazing facts!"