Often, we tend to believe that by drinking diet soda instead of regular soda we are in-taking less sugar and ultimately causing less harm to our body. However, recent studies have shown how diet soda has an even greater negative effect than regular soda. A new study in the
After the researchers adjusted for factors like diabetes, smoking and levels of physical activity they reached the conclusion that people who did not drink diet soda gained about 0.8 inches around their waists over the study period, but people who drank diet soda daily gained 3.2 inches. Those who fell in the middle — occasional drinkers of diet soda — gained about 1.8 inches.
These findings are very concerning because fat that goes to the abdomen pads inside the abdominal muscles, this is also known as visceral fat, and this can cause inflammation, an increase in cardiovascular diseases and Type 2 Diabetes. These findings are growing evidence towards the theory that no-calorie and low-calorie sweeteners may come with health concerns as they contain substances that sweeten soda at 200-600 times the sweetness of sugar.
Dr. Helen Hazuda explained the difference between regular and diet soda by mentioning that regular soda and sugar have caloric consequences. Your brain is aware that sweetness means you are ingesting energy in the form of calories and if you do not burn it off it will convert to fat. However, artificial sweeteners confuse our body and brain by weakening the link between sweetness and calories which ultimately leads to weight gain.
More recent studies in mice showed that artificial sweeteners made them vulnerable to insulin resistance and glucose tolerance which can both cause weight gain. As well this study showed that these sweeteners cause a drop in the hormone Leptin which is the hormone that inhibits hunger.
However, the Calorie Control Council which represents reduced-calorie food industry tends to disagree with the findings in this study stating that "low-calorie sweeteners have been shown to be beneficial in weight control". Overall the research finding realized that there was a greater risk of negative effect for people who already have belly fat and high BMI's.
*Source: www.msn.com - by: Mandy Oaklander*
1) You graduate with the skills to get a job right out of school. Massage therapy studies involve a lot of practical and hands-on training so by the time students graduate, they feel confident enough in their skills and have enough training to start working right away.
2) Massage therapists are licensed professionals. To become a licensed therapist you must complete a certificate program as well as hundreds of practical hours. This higher degree of requirements has created a greater level of respect for this profession.
3) Having the opportunity to work in exciting and exotic locations. Tourist spots and cruise ships are always hiring massage therapists for their spas. As well beach resorts are always looking for massage therapists which gives you the amazing opportunity to vacation while at work.
4) You can set your own work hours. Since most massage therapists are self-employed, they are able to set appointments based off their own schedule which can be very useful.
5) Your work environment is relaxing. Often massage therapists are surrounded with a great ambiance because they want to make sure their clients are relaxed and in a better state of mind after their massage. This means that the massage therapist themselves also get to enjoy this ambiance.
6) You get the satisfaction of helping others. Massage therapists offer invaluable service to people who are in pain, recovering from injuries or experiencing stress. Massage therapy speeds up healing processes and can also help with restoring emotional balance.
7) Your clients will always look forward to seeing you. Going to your massage therapist is associated with positive feelings and a good experience unlike going to see your doctor or dentist.
8) You are always physically active at work. Massage therapists work on their feet and engage their entire body when giving a massage. Since the nature of the work is physically demanding, as a result you end up in great shape.
9) In high demand in the workforce. As the value of licensed massage therapists increases, it has been predicted that the job demand is supposed to grow considerably in the next decade. New massage therapy jobs are being created constantly in nursing homes and hospitals.
10) Eventually you can become your own boss. Many massage therapists work out of their own homes or travel to client's houses. Some are able to establish their own clinics and employ other massage therapists as well.
*Source: Fremont College*
1) Headaches: 20 sessions of electroacupuncture within four weeks has reduced the number of monthly migranes. Electroacupuncture is a form of acupuncture where electric current is applied to the needles.
2) Seasonal Allergies: People with seasonal allergies (eg. sneezing and runny nose) saw a tremendous improvement after 12 sessions of acupuncture and were able to use antihistamines less often.
3) Mood/ Depression: Weekly acupuncture treatment can reduce signs of depression within three months, which are results similar to counseling. This is due to the fact that acupuncture regulates the specific neurotransmitters that make you happy.
4) Throat: 10 sessions of acupuncture over the course of one month was able to treat acid reflux disease and soothed heartburn better than increasing medicine dosage. This may be due to regulating acid secretion and speeding up digestion.
5) Heart: Regularly attending acupuncture has shown to decrease markers of stress and lower blood pressure which results in positive effects on the heart.
6) Immune system: Specifically placed needles during an acupuncture treatment can boost the activity of immune cells that destroy infections.
7) Sleep: Acupuncture increases the production of neurotransmitters associated with sleep and relaxation. This is incredibly helpful to insomnia sufferers.
8) Back Pain: 5 consecutive weeks of treatments, twice each week, has shown to relieve and lessen lower back pains for up to six months.
9) Menopause: Acupuncture can potentially regulate body temperature. This means that treatment can lessen the frequency and severity of hot flashes for up to three months after treatment.
10) Weight: Acupuncture is able to help obese adults with weight loss. A study demonstrated that an obese adult was able to shed up to 9 pounds over the span of 2 weeks to 4 months.
*Sources: www.prevention.com By: Jessica Migala*
In our every day lives, so many little things we do can cause back pain and for the most part we never manage to catch and change our bad habits. The following list will give you a good overview of all the little bad habits that most of us have which can eventually cause us to encounter not so pleasant backaches.
1) Do you have a long commute? Maybe your drive from home to work or home to school causes you to spend a lot of time behind the steering wheel. Chiropractors and doctors mention that it is very important to pay attention to your posture when you are driving. Make sure you are sitting at a 90 degrees angle to the steering wheel and you are not leaning back too much that you have to stretch your arms or legs out. As well avoid slumping posture which will cause neck and back pain.
2) Sitting behind a desk all day is one of the biggest causes of back pain. Sitting puts 40% more pressure on your spine than standing. Sitting with good posture and taking regular stretch breaks is often a key solution but it is also a solution that most people don't have time for. Another solution to help your back is to try and sit at a 135 degree angle from time to time. So this means to lean back on your chair; this position puts the least pressure on your spinal disks.
3) When you have to reach a deadline and you are experiencing chronic or acute stress; this stress can directly trigger your back pain. Often times when we are stressed, all of our body's muscles remain in a constantly clenched/ flexed position. An easy solution to this is to simply realize that you are stressed out and find ways to release your stress and relax throughout the day. Many find exercise to be a great stress reliever.
4) Prioritize the gym. Many people assume that they need to lie down and remain inactive when they have back pain. Meanwhile many studies show that people with back pain can greatly benefit from being active and going to the gym or going for frequent walks.
5) Mattresses. If your mattress is very old, you are very likely to have back pain. According to the National Sleep Foundation, you must replace your mattress every 7 to 10 years but many suggest that you go no longer than 5 to 7 years before replacing your mattress.
6) Although all types of exercise help relieve back pain, yoga tends to be the best. Yoga is the fastest exercise to ease lower back pain.
7) Doing crunches to strengthen your core and therefore protect your back is a very big misconception. It is true that having a strong core protects your back but doing crunches is not great for your back and the continuous motion forces the spine to curve forward in a C-shape. Do crunches slowly, with proper form and in moderate amounts by including them in a broader core workout.
8) This may come as a surprise but your diet can affect your back. Eating healthy foods is not only good for your heart and weight but your back as well. Having clogged arteries due to high cholestrol can cause less efficient blood circulation which leads to an inability to bring nutrients to the spine and brain. Not receiving proper nutrients due to improper circulation can cause inflammation which ultimately leads to pain.
9) Many of us suffer from carrying all our belongings in our purse. Having a very heavy bag may cause back damage that is as severe as damage from a sports injury. To avoid this, always carry the lightest bag possible and alternate which shoulder you carry your purse on every day.
10) A deep love for high heels or flip flops. Both of these shoes cause your foot to be unstable and this leads to back pain. High heels force you to arch your back and make your back muscles work harder. Flip flops on the other hand cause your feet to slide from side to side leading to an uneven distribution of your body weight, ultimately causing back pain. Avoid walking long distances in your trendy footwear.
*Sources: www.msn.com -Health & Fitness*